Frugal Dad wrote a post talking about the five craziest things he has done to save money. Since I’m often accused of being too frugal I decided to come up with my own post. This was harder than I thought because most of the the things I do to save money that seem crazy to others don’t seem crazy to me. Here is what I came up with but I’m probably leaving something crazier off the list.
- Cut my own hair- This is one I share with Frugal Dad. I know I’ve seen a few other PF bloggers mention it also. When you buzz cut your hair it is hard to justify paying to have it cut.
- Turned off my hot water- Last year I turned off my hot water during the summer due to my gas company’s customer charge of $25 whether you use any gas or not. This resulted in a bill of about $40 a month just for hot water. I just showered at the gym or took cold showers. I saved about $160 by having my hot water off over four months. I got hot water again when I moved to a new apartment. I had to have gas then because it was getting cold outside and I needed the gas heat.
- Dumpster Diving- I haven’t actually crawled into the dumpster and pulled stuff out but I would for the right stuff. My dumpster diving has consisted of pulling coupons for free meals and other valuable coupons out of the junk mail bin by the apartment mailboxes. I even managed to sell some of the coupons and make a little money.
- Spent $30 total for food in 1 month- Last May I decided to see how little I could spend on food. I wanted to spend even less than $30 on food but I didn’t have quite enough willpower. It helped that I work in a pizza restaurant and get a few free meals every week.
- Drive a Hoopty- I don’t really think this is crazy at all but some people do. I love my 94 Toyota Corolla. My friend keeps asking me when I’m going to get a better car. I don’t plan on replacing mine soon. It looks ugly but runs fine. Also, it gets 30 mpg in town which is a great feature with the high cost of gas.
I’m sure I’ve left out some crazier stuff than I’ve listed. What are some crazy things you’ve done to save money?